“Wexford Rape Crisis is a client-centred support service for those who may have been affected by domestic, sexual or gender-based violence, including women, men, young people and all persons of different sexual or gender identities”.
Core values underpinning Wexford Rape Crisis:
Violence and sexual abuse in relationships must always be viewed as an abuse of Human Rights. It should not be rationalised or minimised and there must never be an acceptable or tolerable level of violence. Anyone can be a victim of sexual violence, irrespective of age, race, income or employment status.
Underpinning all aspects of the work of Wexford Rape Crisis is an ethos which offers support, empathy and understanding. We provide a non-judgemental, empowering and compassionate service which facilitates healing and recovery.
Aims of Wexford Rape Crisis:
Through our counselling service, advocacy and awareness-raising work, we aim to support our clients by:
- Implementing best practice in all we do with survivors of domestic, sexual or gender-based violence
- Developing therapeutic relationships
- Ensuring survivors have access to services which are responsive and appropriate to their needs
- Supporting them to make informed choices
- Providing accessible, sensitive, confidential and quality services
- Working on behalf of our clientele with other organisations and agencies when appropriate.
- Working preventatively in communities through education, media campaigns and public awareness strategies
- Monitoring and evaluating our service provision
- Ensuring the safeguarding of children in situations of domestic, sexual or gender-based violence.
In 1995 The Wexford Rape & Sexual Abuse Support Service was established as an indirect result of the Kilkenny Incest Investigation, providing a free counselling service for survivors of domestic, sexual or gender-based violence and their families in the Co. Wexford area. The service quickly expanded as more and more survivors sought counselling. With the increased numbers, outreach services were developed in Gorey, Enniscorthy and New Ross.
In 2019, the service was rebranded as Wexford Rape Crisis.
Wexford Rape Crisis is a member of the Managers’ Forum of Rape Crisis.
Our counsellors are professionally qualified and accredited to relevant recognized Accreditation Bodies.
We are also involved in groups/networks such as:
- Wexford Support Network on Domestic, Sexual and Gender Based Violence (WSN) www.wexfordsupport.com,
- The Domestic Abuse Forum,
- Children and Young Person’s Services Committee (CYPSC) for Co Wexford
- Children and Young Person’s Services Committee Working group on Young People and Mental Health
- Rape Crisis Manager’s Forum
- Child and Family Support Network for Co Wexford.
PricewaterhouseCoopers, Cornmarket, Wexford
Charity No. CHY 12420
Charities Governance Code Compliance Record Form